Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Adventures in Whole Wheat Baking...part 1

Oh, my goodness.

I may never make cookies with "all-purpose" flour again.

Today I bought whole wheat flour at the store, because I was planning to make a whole wheat pizza crust. See, Johnny and I both love pizza...but we don't love the cost of ordering pizza, or that gross "I just ate greasy pizza" feeling. And homemade pizza is easy. Soooo I thought I'd start making it when we were in the mood...and if you're going to make it at home, why not go all out? Low-fat cheese, low-fat sauce, fresh veggies on top...and whole grain crust to boot.

I haven't tried the whole wheat crust yet, although I found a recipe that looks promising. But there on the back of the flour sack was a recipe for whole wheat chocolate chip cookies that I was dying to try.

Well, not dying.

So I started rummaging in the fridge, checking my ingredients...and I was out of butter. Sad...but by this point, I really wanted to make whole wheat something-or-other. I did some searching on the internet and found a recipe for peanut butter-chocolate chip cookies that required no regular butter (but used all-purpose flour). I read it and wrote down some of the amounts for the major ingredients, went to the kitchen and modified it quite a bit...and here was the end result. They were quite good. Notice I'm not saying "these were the best cookies in the universe." That's just because they're peanut butter--no peanut butter cookie will ever get the "best in the universe" label from me. I just prefer plain jane chocolate chip cookies...BUT as peanut butter cookies go, these were delicious in my book. And made with only whole wheat flour! I really didn't taste a difference, although occasionally I felt a little fleck of wheat in my teeth.

Of course...there's still sugar...and an egg...and chocolate chips...so don't start calling them "healthy." But it's a start.

Oh, by the way--if you bake a lot, you'll know that peanut butter cookies are supposed to be rolled into balls, then flattened with a fork. That's just the way it's done. But I didn't mess with all that nonsense...I just used my cookie scoop as usual. Trust me, the universe did not implode...and the cookies tasted fine.

Whole wheat peanut butter chocolate chip cookies


1 c whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 c + 2 tbsp. firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 c milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 c crunchy peanut butter
2/3 c chocolate chips (I also had an insignificant amount of peanut butter chips that I threw in for good measure...probably a tablespoon or so...)

Preheat oven to 375.
Combine flour and baking soda in a small bowl.
In a large bowl, combine sugar, milk and vanilla. Add egg and beat well. Stir in peanut butter, then chocolate chips. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture a little at a time, mixing well. Drop by rounded teasponfuls (or use a cookie scoop) onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 9-10 minutes (you want golden-brown tops, but don't overbake!). And enjoy the whole-grainy goodness!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Danielle,

Whole-wheat is the only flour my mom will use, and so in most recipes, we just use it instead of all-purpose. It doesn't always work fine, but usually the results are still delicious! Virginia B. even goes so far as to say that whole-wheat brownies are better than regular brownies! =D

-Hannah

Danielle said...

Thanks Hannah! I don't know why I haven't tried it before now. I'm not surprised about the brownies, because what I've noticed in the different cookie recipes I've tried is that they tend to turn out chewier. The main difference I've noticed is in breads and crusts...they can become kind of heavy.