Monday, November 10, 2008

Songs and Hymns for little Ella


I don't know any kids' songs. I should, really...I mean, I've participated in every kind of event where you learn those kinds of songs. But I don't remember a single one. I think there was one about a frog...anyway. I don't really know any of the traditional lullabies either. The only one I remember is "Rockabye baby" and, well, I'm not a huge fan, to be honest. And then there's the bathtime songs. My mom says that she always sang "Splish splash I was takin a bath" to us at bathtime. Trouble is, I only know the first line.


So, Ella gets to hear a lot of hymns and the kinds of songs that Johnny and I like. Any number of them can be used just for calming her, or singing to her just because. We have several favorites. But we have kind of established a pattern. For example, her naptime/bedtime song is " 'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus.'" Before digging out my hymnal a few weeks ago, I could only ever remember the first verse and the chorus, but it's really the last three verses that make the song. It's wonderful. So, every time she goes down for a nap, I'm encouraged by the words to the song. Now when I start singing that song, she calms right down and she knows it's time to go to sleep. We also have a bathtime song now, and at first I was pretty proud of myself for thinking of it (haha): "I've Got a River of Life." Once I was giving her a bath and trying to think of what to sing, and that was the first thing that came to mind because it had to do with water...haha. Of course, when I got to the chorus I remembered the ole youth group add-ins of "gush gush gush gush" and "splish splash," which made it even more bath-appropriate. She LOVES that song, and she loves bathtime, so we have a lot of fun.

In the early weeks, one of her favorite calm-down songs was "To Christ the Lord" (if you don't know that song, it's the hymn "Majestic Sweetness sits enthroned" with some new words and a new melody, done by Indelible Grace). I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I sang that in a wedding just 2 months before she was born--I think she must have heard all that practicing in the womb. ;) Anyway, I'm hoping that as Ella grows, she'll develop a love for hymns.

Here are the words to three of our favorites:

"To Christ the Lord"

To Christ the Lord, let every tongue
Its noblest tribute bring
When He's the subject of the song
Who can refuse to sing?
Survey the beauties of His face
And on His glories dwell
Think of the wonders of His grace
And all His triumphs tell

Majestic sweetness sits enthroned
Upon His awful brow
His head with radiant glories crowned
His lips with grace o'erflow
No mortal can with Him compare
Among the sons of man
And fairer He than all the fair
That fill the heavenly train!

He saw me plunged in deep distress
He fled to my relief
For me He bore the shameful cross
And carried all my grief
His hand a thousand blessings pours
Upon my guilty head
His presence gilds my darkest hours
And guards my sleeping bed

To Him I owe my life and breath
And all the joys I have
He makes me triumph over death
And saves me from the grave
To heaven the place of His abode
He brings my weary feet
Shows me the glories of my God
And makes my joy complete

Since from His bounty I received
Such proofs of love divine
Had I a thousand hearts to give
Lord they should all be Thine
A thousand men could not compose
A worthy song to bring
Yet Your love is a melody
Our hearts can't help but sing!



"Tis so sweet" (naptime/bedtime song)

Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus
Just to take Him at His word
Just to rest upon His promise
Just to know "thus saith the Lord!"

(chorus) Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!

Oh, how sweet to trust in Jesus
Just to trust His cleansing blood
Just in simple faith to plunge me
'Neath the healing, cleansing flood! (chorus)

Yes, tis sweet to trust in Jesus
Just from sin and self to cease
Just from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest, and joy and peace (chorus)

I'm so glad I learned to trust Him
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend!
And I know that He is with me
Will be with me to the end. (chorus)



"I've Got a River of Life" (bathtime song...with goofy youth group add-ins)

I've got a river of life flowing out of me
Makes the lame to walk and the blind to see
Opens prison doors, sets the captives free
I've got a river of life flowing out of me
Spring up, o well (gush gush gush gush)
Within my soul
Spring up, o well (splish splash)
And make me whole
Spring up, o well (whooooosh)
And give to me
That life abundantly!

1 comment:

Robert said...

Delightful! Don't apologize for singing hymns to little Ella. (Beautiful little girl, by the way!) What a rich heritage she'll have from this.

As to children's hymns, I'm sure you sing "Jesus Loves Me" sometimes. But my all-time favourite (one of my favourite hymns overall) is Philip Bliss's "Jesus Loves Even Me" ("I am so glad that our Father in heaven...")

Your blog caught my eye because of your quotation of Samuel Stennett's great hymn, "Majestic Sweetness Sits Enthroned." Today is the anniversary of his death in 1795. To learn a bit more, check out my blog, Wordwise Hymns.

With the prayer that Ella will grow up to love and serve the Lord Jesus.